ZOOM H6 HANDHELD PORTABLE AUDIO RECORDER
The H6 Handy from Zoom is a portable handheld audio recorder and USB audio interface that features an interchangeable microphone system. The recorder ships with both XY and mid-side microphone modules, foam windscreen, four AA batteries, USB cable, Cubase LE and a hard carrying case. Optional module attachments can be purchased for expanded functionality.
Capture the performance on a whole new level
Do more than just record the show: Document the experience. Use the X/Y capsule to capture the overall sound in stereo, then use the other four inputs for a direct feed from the mixing board, or for external spot mics to pick up specific instruments and the room sound. With the H6, you can relive that great performance night after night.
Get the sound that completes the scene
Whether you slide it onto your camera strap or attach it directly to your DSLR with our Hot Shoe mount, the H6 is the essential audio recorder for location videography. Its supplied MSH-6 mic capsule and onboard MS decoding, plus the ability to record up to 6 tracks simultaneously, gives you plenty of options in post-production.
In this example, the MSH-6 MS capsule is being used to capture the main sound source in stereo, with external boom and lavalier mics (connected to Inputs 1 and 2) focused on the talent providing narration. Another pair of external mics is connected to Inputs 3 and 4 and are being used to record a second stereo image, this one of the other performers in the scene. By using the MS capsule, you can later use the H6's onboard MS decoder to adjust the width of the main stereo image in post-production.
Make every chord, every note, every riff really sing.
Plug in the optional EXH-6 Dual XLR/TRS capsule and your H6 becomes a personal 6-track studio with six discrete line- or mic-level inputs, each with its own volume control and pad. Record and overdub up to 99 takes in high-resolution audio, then mix down to a stereo MP3 for posting to your favorite website.
A little X, a little Y, a whole lotta stereo
The X/Y miking technique is optimal when you want to cover a wide area and still capture sound sources in the center with clarity and definition, making it great for all types of live stereo recording.
The XYH-6 X/Y capsule comes standard with the H6.
The capsule adds two matched high-quality unidirectional microphones to your H6 or H5. This kind of microphone is most sensitive to signal coming from directly in front, and less sensitive to signal coming from behind or fromthe sides; in technical terms, they are said to utilize a cardioid polar pattern.
To compress or not to compress
The H6 can record audio in two different basic file types: WAV and MP3. The main difference between the two is that WAV files are uncompressed; that is, they contain all the recorded data without any “bits” (digital words) being removed. Thus, they provide full fidelity without compromise.
MP3 recordings are compressed, which means that some unnecessary data is removed prior to storage, making them much smaller than WAV files, and thus much easier to upload and download. Some MP3 files exhibit a slight loss of audio fidelity as compared with the original signal; however, this is not noticeable in all circumstances.
Time is on your side
The H6 requires just 4 AA batteries—either alkaline or rechargeable NiMH—for power. Battery life (when using alkaline batteries) is more than 20 hours, even during continuous recording. An optional AD-17 AC adapter (included in the APH-6 Accessory Pack) allows you to power the H6 from any standard wall socket.
The H6 records directly to SD cards. It supports standard SD cards as well as the newer SDHC and SDXC cards, up to 128 gigabytes, making it capable of accessing massive data storage. A handy "SD Card Remain" function allows you to see at a glance how much space remains on the currently inserted card, both in gigabytes and percentage.
- Built-in mics: 2
- Configuration: X/Y, M/S swappable
- Type: Uni/bidirectional
- External mic input: XLR/TRS combo x 4
- Audio quality
- Bit rate: 16/24
- Sampling frequency: 44.1/48/96kHz
- Formats: WAV/MP3
- Headphone: 3.5mm
- Audio out: 3.5mm
- Storage and media
- Type(s): SD, SDHC, SDXC
- Capacity: 128GB
- Hard drive Not applicable
- USB: Yes
- Number of tracks: 6
- Phantom power: 12V, 24V, 48V
- Auto limiter: Yes
- Width: 3.06"
- Depth: 6.01"
- Height: 1.88"
- Weight: 10oz
- Battery type: AA x 4
- Battery life (app.): 21 hours
- Built-in speaker: Yes
- Power supply: Sold separately
- Recording media: 16MB-2GB SD cards
- 4GB-32GB SDHC cards
- 64GB-128GB SDXC cards
- Inputs Inputs L/R XY mic (XYH-6)
- Mic Type: Unidirectional
- Sensitivity: -41 dB, 1 kHz at 1 Pa
- Input Gain: -ˆž to 46.5 dB
- Maximum Sound Pressure Input: 136 dB SPL
- [MIC/LINE IN]
- Connector: 1/8" stereo mini jack
- Input Gain: -ˆž to 46.5 dB
- Input Impedance: 2 kÎ
- Plug-in Power: 2.5V supported
- MS mic (MSH-6)
- Mic Types: Unidirectional and bi-directional
- Sensitivity: -37 dB, 1 kHz at 1 Pa (unidirectional),
- -39 dB, 1 kHz at 1 Pa (bi-directional)
- Input Gain: -ˆž to 42.5 dB
- Maximum Sound Pressure Input: 120 dB SPL (unidirectional),
- 122 dB SPL (bi-directional)
- 1 to 4 Connectors: XLR/TRS combo jacks
- (XLR: 2 hot / TRS: TIP hot)
- Input Gain (PAD OFF): -ˆž to 55.5 dB
- Input Gain (PAD ON): -ˆž to 35.5 dB
- Input Impedance 6.8kÎ
- Maximum Input Level: +22 dBu (PAD ON)
- Phantom Power: +12V / +24V / +48V
- Equivalent Input Noise (EIN): -120 dBu or less
- Line Out Connector: 1/8" stereo mini jack
- Rated Output Level: -10 dBu
- (when output load impedance is 10 kÎ or more)
- Phone Out: Connector: 1/8" stereo mini jack
- Output Level: 20 W + 20 W (into 32Î load)
- Built-in Speaker: 400 mW/8 Î mono speaker
- Recording Formats: [WAV setting]
- Sampling Frequency: 44.1/48/96kHz
- Bit Rate: 16/24-bit (Mono/Stereo, BWF-compliant)
- Maximum Simultaneous Recording Tracks: 8 tracks (6 tracks + L/R backup)
- Backup recording: 12dB lower than set L/R input gain
- [MP3 setting]
- Sampling Frequency: 44.1kHz Bit Rate: 48-320 kbps
- Maximum Simultaneous Recording Tracks: 2 tracks
- Recording Time
- (with 2GB card) 03:08:00 (44.1kHz/16-bit WAV)
- 34:43:00 (128kbps MP3)
- Display 2.0-inch full-color LCD (320 x 240 pixels)
- USB [Mass Storage Class operation]
- Class: USB2.0 High Speed
- [Audio Interface operation: Multi-track mode]
- Class: USB2.0 High Speed
- Inputs / Outputs: 6 / 2
- Sampling Frequency: 44.1/48/96kHz
- Bit Rate: 16/24bit
- Note: Use with Windows requires a driver, but Macintosh does not.
- [Audio Interface operation: Stereo mode]
- Class: USB2.0 Full Speed
- Inputs / Outputs: 2 / 2
- Sampling Frequency: 44.1/48kHz
- Bit Rate: 16 bit
- Note: iPad operation supported in stereo mode only.
- Battery Life (with alkaline battery) XY mic, 44.1kHz/16-bit (stereo x 1): 21 hours
- XY mic and Inputs 1, 2, 3 and 4 used, 96kHz/24-bit (stereo x 3): 9 hours 45 minutes
- Note: The above times are estimates. Approximate continuous recording times when using battery power were calculated using our own testing method. They may differ greatly depending on operating conditions.
- Power AA size (LR6) battery x 4
- AC adapter: AD-17 (DC5V/1A/USB-type) (optional)
- USB bus power
- Dimensions H6: 77.8mmï¼ˆWï¼‰x 152.8mmï¼ˆDï¼‰x 47.8mmï¼ˆHï¼‰
- Weight H6ï¼ 280g (without batteries)
- Included Accessories Operation manual, XYH-6 X/Y mic capsule, MSH-6 MS mic capsule, AA size (LR6) battery x 4, Cubase LE Software, WSH-6S Foam Windscreen, USB Cable, Case
- Optional Accessories SGH-6 Shotgun mic capsule
- EXH-6 Dual XLR/TRS Combo capsule
- HS-1 Hot Shoe Mount
Customer ReviewsWrite a review
I bought it for 24000 INR in 2018 from Bajaao. Thank god I bought it in 2018. Now helping me a lot in Covid-lockdown. It's an ultimate machine, go for it if you have budget :)
Love the Microphone to the bits, its all Dynamic mind you but what a dynamic field recorder mic. Would kill if it got stolen.
This is an awesome recorder for the price. It works as interface also which will come in handy at unforseen circumstances. The Stereo Shotgun especially is the best capsule that can record either a mono or a stereo signal with varying side levels which is awesome to adjust in post based on your needs! The other capsules included are great too! The XY capsule is best suited for capturing ambiences like room tone, natural ambience, traffic or city noises etc. Over all it's a killer investment if you are involved in Foley and audio Postproduction. Alps great for producers who love to sample a lot for their beats!
This is the best zoom has to offer from the portable recorder set . Using it for a while now never dissatisfied by the audio quality .
I received an open box with the SD card (very likely taken out) and a sticker put on the box mentioning that there is no SD card. Very clearly the company included this in their included accessories section though. On informing Bajaao, they promised to get back within 48 hours. Not hearing from them I re-complained. Someone got back the next day and asked for one more day for a revert. That day has also passed without any revert yet.If you want reliable good product, pay a little extra and buy from a reliable site. Bajaao.com is totally avoidable.
fantastic product and delivered on time, safely by bajaao.
I've been hosting my talk show, The MJ Show for over 4 years now and the Zoom H6 that I just purchased from Bajaao has turned out to be the most efficient piece of equipment for recording audio. I connect it with either 2 lapel AKG microphones or with one studio condensor C414XLii microphone and record my interviews and with both set ups the sound quality I've got is fantastic. I know that once my team and I learn the intricacies of the equipment it will only get better but even now, a few weeks after getting the product, with the most basic understanding of the instrument, the output is fantastic.If you're a vlogger, interviewer, singer/songwriter or even a professional band the Zoom H6 is the perfect recorder for your basic needs. Go for it! I totally recommend it. Thank you Bajaao for your excellent service as always.
Time is money and this is what Bajaao did in this transaction. A gentleman named Anand Iyer at Bajaao was very good! he made it happen, made promises and lived up to it! Very happy! Hope Zoom serves me well as we have been struggling to get support for the H4N we have.