BAJAAO India presents the flat, 50Hz-20kHz frequency response of the Shure SM7B Microphone with Switchable Response is designed especially for spoken word, but recording engineers have discovered that it's also an exceptional mic for adding body to thin vocals and handling loud rock/metal singers. It also has the ability to tame harsh or sibilant sounds from hi-hat, cymbals, and voice. The SM7B is highly shielded against electrical interference, and includes bass roll-off and mid-range emphasis (presence boost) controls with graphic display, and internal "air suspension" shock isolation. It ships with a standard windscreen and an A7WS detachable windscreen for close-talk applications.
Need some convincing that this might be the mic for you?
This is the vocal mic, then known as simply the SM7, that Bruce Swedien used to record Michael Jackson's vocals on Thriller, the best-selling album of all time and it's a favorite of Anthony Kiedis of Red Hot Chili Peppers as well.
Application note: The SM7B is a low output mic, so plugging direct into an audio interface may not offer enough gain. In such a case you need a preamp with a decent amount of gain. Due to its smooth sound and thickening characteristics, a transparent-sounding preamp will be a preferred choice. (See our Preamp Buying Guide for a thorough discussion of transparent vs. color preamps.)
Shure SM7B Microphone with Switchable Response Features:
- Flat, wide-range frequency response for exceptionally clean and natural reproduction of both music and speech
- Bass roll-off and mid-range emphasis (presence boost) controls with graphic display of response setting
- Improved rejection of electromagnetic hum, optimized for shielding against broadband interference emitted by computer monitors
- Internal "air suspension" shock isolation virtually eliminates mechanical noise transmission
- Highly effective pop filter eliminates need for any add-on protection against explosive breath sounds, even for close-up vocals or narration
- Now shipping with the A7WS detachable windscreen, designed to reduce plosive sounds and gives a warmer tone for close-talk vocals
- Yoke mounting with captive stand nut for easy mounting and dismounting provides precise control of microphone position
- Classic cardioid polar pattern, uniform with frequency and symmetrical about axis, to provide maximum rejection and minimum coloration of off-axis sound
- Rugged construction and excellent cartridge protection for outstanding reliability.