Golden Age Project R1 Vintage Style Tube Active Ribbon Condenser Microphone Overview:
The R 1 Tube Active is like a missing link of true old-school vintage recording in that it combines three vintage elements: a classic ribbon transducer, a tube based buffer amplifier and two transformers.
You might think that a ribbon, transformers and a tube amplifying stage will make the signal too smooth?
It´s true that the sound of the R1 Tube Active is truly warm and fat, but the combination of the tube stage and the transformers will generate overtones that makes the signal come alive.
If you are into mics, if instant no-need-to-mix good-sounding recording is your thing, if you are looking for a unique yet versatile mic, this is it.
The R 1 TUBE ACTIVE is like a missing link of true old-school vintage recording in that it combines three vintage elements:
- A classic ribbon transducer
- Two transformers
- A tube buffer amplifierFeatures:
- A low-noise 12AX7 tube amplifier that isolates the ribbon and gain make-up transformer from the outside world
- A stunning realism with the feeling of “being-there”
- The typical large and mellow ribbon sound quality with a very smooth top end and an extended low end
- A fast and life-like transient reproduction
- An ultra-high SPL capability, 165 dB SPL (1% THD @1000Hz) and a very high sensitivity for a ribbon microphone, similar to many condenser microphones
- A Figure-8 directional pattern for wide sweet spots both in the front and in the back of the microphone. Zero spots towards the sides.
- A 50 mm long ribbon made of 2 microns thick aluminium foil
- An internal shock mount for the ribbon and magnet assembly
- A removable microphone cable and a nice aluminium flight case
- Manufactured of the finest materials for a great performance and long-term reliability
- The R1 Tube Active can be used with any standard mixer or preamp, preferably with a balanced input
- Type: Large ribbon geometry, pure aluminium, 2 um thick, 50 x 5 mm size with active electronics
- Polar pattern: Figure 8
- Frequency response: 30 Hz – 18 kHz +/- 3 dB
- Sensitivity: -40 dB (0 dB = 1V/Pa) @ 1 kHz
- Equivalent Noise Level (A-weighted per IEC 268-4): < 16 dB typical
- Maximum SPL (<1% THD @ 1 kHz): 165 dB
- Output impedance: 200 ohm, balanced
- Recommended load impedance: > 1000 Ohms
- Dimensions: 69 x 185 mm
- Weight: 1500 g