The Mridangam is the mother south Indian percussion instruments widely acclaimed for its strong sound rhythmic sounds and distinct tonality. Used in Carnatic music, the Mridangam is made from jackfruit tree/ sheesham wood. The Mridangam has a deep metallic timbre and powerful middle frequency bass sounds. The shyahi on the end of the mridangam is a black paste called satham or karanai which occupies a larger surface area than does the shyahi for the tabla or Pakhawaj. This is placed on two non-homogenous membranes over three layers, which produce the distinct high pitch and harmonics of the mridangam treble drum.
Ultimate Guru Concert Grade Mridangam Features are:
- Made from the finest quality jack fruit wood. Polished to a natural wood finish.
- Made by master craftsmen from Chennai
- Tuned to perfection
- Hand made poodi and mootu
- Lowered gajras ( mootu) for better comfort while playing. Thumbs will not hit the rim, which is a common and painful complaint for average quality Mridangams
- Quality tested by Ultimate Guru and checked manually before dispatch.
- HDP cases available separately for flight travel.
- "Thoppi" or tuning paste for mridangam for excellent bass and "Gamaka" effect, sold separately
- Tuning clay also available
Package Includes :
- One finely tuned Ultimate Guru Concert Grade Mridangam
- One Mridangam Clape
- One Mridangam carry bag
- Height: 24 inches
- Bass Drum Face Diameter: 9.2 inches (including rim)
- Treble Drum Face Diameter: 8 inches (including rim)
- Largest circumference: 36.5 inches (including vadi).
- Weight : 8.2 kgs
Customer ReviewsWrite a review
I hardly have any knowledge of mridangam, I can't review the instrument extensively. It seemed okay. There are numerous lengthy hair strands sticking out of the animal skin, I don't know if that is normal.
product is exactly as is written up. mootu is low, and sound quality is professional.