Six-Input 633 KIT Compact Mixer With 10-Track Recorder & Automixing
The 633 is designed for audio professionals requiring go-anywhere portability, without compromising recording or mixing capability. The compact 633 field mixer with integrated 10-track recorder offers six analog inputs, two powerful auto mixers (Dugan and MixAssist), records to SD and CompactFlash memory cards, and offers PowerSafe and QuickBoot technology.
Input and Output Flexibility
The 633 offers three high-bandwidth mic/line inputs on XLR connectors (3+3), complete with phantom power, high-pass filter, input limiter and variable pan. Three additional line-level inputs on TA3 (mini-XLR) connectors offer flexibility for more complex productions. All inputs are assignable to its six output buses, left/right plus Aux 1/2/3/4.
All six inputs plus output buses left/right and Aux 1/2 can be recorded to individual tracks. The 633 offers 10-track 24-bit, 48 kHz uncompressed WAV recording (96 kHz and 192 kHz sampling up to six tracks) to SD and CompactFlash memory cards. The two cards can be set independently, recording either identical material for a real-time backup, or combinations of WAV and timecode stamped MP3 files.
Two Auto Mixers: The Choice is Yours
The 633 offers two powerful, high-performing automatic mixing options, Dugan automixing and Sound Devices' MixAssist. The inclusion of these two well-known auto mixers makes it the go-to tool for more portable production applications with automixing for up to six audio channels. Dugan automixing is widely used in broadcast television applications, in dialogue recording for TV and motion picture production, and in house of worship (HOW) applications. It also is a good choice for teleconferencing, video trucks, and theater applications with multiple wireless microphones on stage. Dugan automixing takes over the nerve-wracking job of cueing mics in and out, freeing up the location recordist to pay more attention to the actual mix balance.
MixAssist automatically attenuates the level of inputs that are not active and helps maintain consistent background sound levels regardless of the number of open microphones. Comb filtering and phasing artifacts are also reduced when multiple mics pick up the same sound source by inteligently attenuating redundant mics. The end user can define the amount of off-attenuation MixAssist uses.
Powered by a unique Quad Power supply with PowerSafe technology, the unit is operational from any of four power sources. Sources can include external DC (12-18 V), two removable 7.2 V L-type lithium ion cells, and six internal AA batteries. The 633 automatically switches from one power supply to the next when power is exhausted or removed. With its combination of power sources, the 633 can operate for a full production day on batteries alone.
Note: Power supply not included; The XL-WPH3 power accessory, and all AA or XL-B2 and XL-B3 L-mount batteries are sold separately.
When all power sources are removed or depleted, the unit’s PowerSafe circuitry is activated. PowerSafe keeps the 633 operating for up to 10 seconds and ensures that all file operations are fully closed and the unit gracefully shuts down.
Two second power on-to-recording. Never wait on sound!
6-Series Gets a Wingman
Wingman, a wireless remote control option for the 6-Series mixer/recorder line, is a free application that, when paired with the required WM-Connect Bluetooth® Smart USB accessory, enables clear views of metering and timecode display on the larger screens of Android and iOS mobile devices. With Wingman, Sound Mixers can:
- View meters, timecode, and frame rate
- Start and stop recordings
- Arm, disarm, and name tracks
- Edit a take’s metadata
- Circle takes and set False takes
- Manage, create, and email sound reports
Ease-of-Use & Full Size Controls
Clear, fast, easy to navigate controls and interface; visible in all light conditions, configurable metering and display.
The 633 integrates a rock-steady Ambient timecode generator, supporting all common rates and modes. In addition to timecode, the 633 supports extensive file metadata. Metadata is entered from either the front panel or from an attached USB keyboard.
Built for the Field
Designed to withstand the extremes of field production, the 633's small, lightweight, compact chassis is made from molded, metalized carbon fiber. It is built on Sound Devices' strong heritage of high performance audio mixers, audio recorders, and video recorders.
- AES input, two-channel AES3 or AES42, four channels of AES output.
- Clear, fast, easy to navigate controls and interface; visible in all light conditions, configurable metering and display.
- Stereo Linking, MS and L/R.
- Input delay selectable on all six inputs plus output bus delay on all six buses.
- User-configurable headphone presets plus a headphone favorite mode for quick source selection.
Included With the 633
- 1 X 633
- 1 X USB cable (USB-A to USB-B)
- 1 X USB adapter (USB-A female to female)
- 1 X LCD Protective Cover
- 3 X Colored Dot stickers
- 4 X Adhesive Rubber "Bumpers"
- 1 X Product registration card
- 1 X 633 Quick Start Guide
- 1 X Full-line Audio Catalog
- 1 X 633 mixer
- 1 X CS-633 bag by Portabrace
- 3 X XL-2F
- 2 X XL-2
- 1 X XL-LB2
- 2 X XL-B2 Batteries
- 1 X SAM-32CF, an SD Approved 32 GB CF media card
- 1 X SAM-32SD, an SD Approved 32 GB SD media card
- Frequency Response: 10 Hz to 40 kHz ± 0.5 dB, -3 dB @ 65 kHz (192 kHz sampling rate reference 1 kHz)
- THD + Noise: 0 .09% max (1 kHz, 22 Hz–22 kHz BW, fader at 0, 0 dBu output)
- Equivalent Input Noise: -126 dBu (-128 dBV) maximum. (22 Hz - 22 kHz bandwidth, flat filter, trim control fully up)
- XLR Mic: active-balanced for use with ≤600 ohm mics, 4k ohm actual; 12V or 48V phantom power, 10 mA max
- XLR AES: AES3 or AES42 (10 V power), SRC
- XLR Line: active-balanced for use with ≤2k ohm outputs, 10k ohm actual
- TA3 Line: active-balanced for use with ≤2k ohm outputs, 10k ohm actual
- RTN (3.5 mm): unbalanced stereo for use with ≤2k ohm outputs, 30k ohm actual
Maximum Input Level
- XLR Mic: 0 dBu (0 .78 Vrms)
- XLR Line: +40 dBu (80 Vrms)
- RTN (3 .5 mm): +24 dBu (12 .4 Vrms)
- Mic-In-to-Line-Out: 91 dB
- Mic-In-to-Aux-Out, -10 Out: 77 dB
- Line-In-to-Line-Out: 39 dB
High-Pass Filters: Sweepable 80 Hz to 240 Hz, 12 dB/oct at 80 Hz, 6 dB/octave at 240 Hz
Microphone Powering (each analog Input selectable)
- 12 V Phantom: through 680 ohm resistors, 10 mA per mic available
- 48 V Phantom: through 6 .8k resistors, 10 mA per mic available
Analog Input Limiters (Inputs 1-3)
- Affects the output of the mic preamps only (‘Trim’ stage) · +16 dBu threshold (fixed)
- 20:1 limiting ratio
- 1 mS attack time
- 500 mS release time
Digital Input Limiters (Inputs 1-6)
- +6 dBu to +18 dBu threshold (adjustable) · 20:1 limiting ratio
- 1 mS attack time
- 500 mS release time
AES42: AES42 Mode 1, provides +10 V Digital Phantom Power
- XLR Line: Active Balanced for use with ≥600 ohm inputs
- XLR -10: Active Balanced for use with ≥10k ohm inputs
- XLR Mic: Active Balanced for use with ≥600 ohm inputs
- TA3 Active Balanced Mic/Line: pin-2 and 3 driven, for use with ≥3k ohm inputs · X3,X4 (3 .5 mm): Unbalanced, stereo, for use with ≥6k ohm inputs
- Headphones (1/4”): Unbalanced, stereo, for use with 8-2k ohm headphones
Output Impedance (ohms actual)
- XLR and TA3 balanced outputs: 100 ohms at Line setting, 3 .2k ohms at -10 setting, 150 ohms at Mic setting
- TA3 Balanced Outs: 1k ohms at Mic and Line settings · X3,X4 (3 .5 mm): 100 ohms
- Headphones (1/4”): 100 ohms
Line Output Clipping Level (1% THD): 20 dBu minimum with 10k load
Maximum Output Level
- Line: +20 dBu (7.8 Vrms)
- -10: +6 dBu (1.5 Vrms)
- Mic: -20 dBu (0.078 Vrms)
- Aux 3/4: +6 dBu (1.5 Vrms)
- Affects the outputs of the mixer
- Threshold selectable from +4 dBu to +18 dBu, 1 dB steps · 20:1 limiting ratio
- 1 mS attack time
- 500 mS release time
- Digital Outputs/Recorder
- Transformer-balanced AES Out A,B on XLR
- 110 ohm, 2 V p-p, AES and S/PDIF compatible with RCA adaptor
- 44.1 kHz
- 47.952 kHz
- 48 kHz
- 48.048 kHz
- 88.2 kHz
- 96 kHz
- 192 kHz
A/D: 24 bit
A/D Dynamic Range: 114 dB, A-weighted, typical
Recording Storage Type
- SD, SDXC, SDHC Card
- FAT32 or exFAT formatted, will format media on-board
- CompactFlash (CF)
- FAT32 formatted for CF and SD <32 GB, exFAT for SD cards >32 GB, will format memory cards in-unit
- Record: WAV (Broadcast Wave File format), polyphonic or MP3
- Playback: WAV (Broadcast Wave File format), polyphonic or MP3
Timecode and Sync
- Modes Supported: off, Rec Run, Free Run, 24h Run, External
- Frame Rates: 23.976, 24, 25, 29.97DF, 29.97ND, 30DF, 30ND
- Accuracy: Ambient generator, 0.2 ppm (0.5 frame in 24 hr)
- Time Code Input: 20k ohm impedance, 0.3 V - 3.0 V p-p (-17 dBu - +3 dBu)
- Time Code Output: 1k ohm impedance, 3.0V p-p (+12 dBu)
Sample/Timecode Accuracy: ± 0.2 ppm (0.5 frames per 24 hours)
- External: 10-18 V on locking 4-pin Hirose connector, pin-4 = (+), pin-1 = (-).
- Removable x 2: 7.2 V (nominal) Sony L-type Li-ion, operational from 6.5–8.5 V,
- Internal: accepts 6 AA-sized (LR6) batteries, 1.2-1.6 V nominal (NiMH rechargeable compatible)
- Operating: -20°C to 60°C, 0 to 90% relative humidity; (non-condensing)
- Storage: -40°C to 85°C
Dimensions and Weight
- Dimensions: 6 cm x 24 cm x 14 cm (H x W x D); 2.2” x 9.4” x 5.6”
- Weight: 1.1 kg; 2 lbs. 9 oz. (unpackaged, without batteries)