There's a dirty secret in the A/V industry, and no, you won't find it reported between the covers of Star or National Enquirer. Camcorder manufacturers will pretend to ignore it, lens manufacturers will deny it, and your DP will take personal offense at the implication, but it's an unspoken truth amongst audiences everywhere: sound makes or breaks a film. So what's an independent filmmaker or startup videographer on a budget supposed to do? Rely on their MiniDV cam's built-in mic? Dub everything in post? No! They get themselves a Rode NTG-2 and enter the world of professional broadcast-quality sound capture at an unprecedented low price!
Broadcast Quality Sound Capture
Humans have been doing this film thing for a while now, and today's audiences are simply conditioned to expect a certain quality in their soundtracks. The Rode NTG-2 has a frequency response tailored specifically for broadcast and film performance, with a nearly perfectly flat response up to 1.4kHz, an airy boost at 10kHz and a switchable bass roll-off at sub 80Hz. In short, the NTG-2 sounds like professionally produced audio should. So where will you use your NTG-2?
Three key features make the Rode NTG-2 the perfect location audio mic-aside from its great sound, of course. Firstly the mic weighs only 5.17 ounces. Whether it's mounted atop a handheld camera or affixed to the end of a boom, that's a spec you're bound to love. Secondly, the Rode NTG-2 exhibits a super-cardioid pickup pattern, meaning the mic picks up a very flat on-axis frequency response regardless of distance from the subject, and it rejects off-axis or background noise. With the NTG-2 on the end of a boom, you'll have precise control over your audio-hugely important for documentarians and field journalists where ADR isn't an option. Finally, the NTG-2 has the option to run on a single AA battery, so even if your camera audio equipment doesn't supply 48-volt phantom power you can still capture pro-quality audio on location.
Foley And Voice Over
Integrating sound effects and voice overs into film and television work is all about consistency. The biggest sound post houses in the industry use shotgun mics to produce effects and narration, and now you can, too. The NTG-2 not only provides frequency consistency from location to sound stage, but it also has the low self-noise and dynamic range of a high-quality, dedicated studio microphone. Even if you don't work in audio post, you might find plenty of musical uses for the Rode NTG-2 (podcasting, acoustic guitar, piano. . . just to name a few possibilities).
Rugged Build For Years Of Use
Even if the Rode NTG-2 is affordable by professional standards, you still want to know that your money is being well invested. The NTG-2-like all Rode microphones-is built to rigorous standards and housed in a rugged metal chassis that will withstand years of field work.
We recommend you take a look at the full line of Rode Pro Video accessories we offer that'll help you get the most out of your new NTG-2, including the Rode Blimp Windsheild Suspension System and the Rode Boompole. You can get professional results from affordable equipment, and Rode can help.
The new RODE NTG-2 is a lightweight condenser shotgun microphone, designed for professional applications within the film, video, television and production industries.
The NTG-2 provides a balanced low impedance output stage and operates either from an internal 1.5 V battery (AA) or 48 V to the P48 standard. A wide-bandwidth and controlled polar response coupled with low noise SMT electronics, makes the NTG-2 the perfect choice for film, video engineering and voice-over work. The NTG-2 is extremely lightweight making it ideal for mounting directly to video cameras or on boom poles.
The NTG-2 comes complete with mount and windshield. The windscreen effectively suppresses wind noise when recording outdoors in moderate conditions.
RODE NTG-2 Microphone Features:
- Broadcast sound quality.
- Rugged metal construction.
- Condenser microphone transducer.
- Weighing 161 grams approx. (5.17 oz.).
- Low noise circuitry.
- Low handling noise.
- Supplied with stand mount and zip pouch.
- Designed & manufactured in Australia.
RODE NTG-2 Microphone Specifications:
- Operation power: The NTG-2 is designed to operate from standard P48 phantom power or a 1.5 V Alkaline Battery. The NTG-2 will operate between 44 V to 52 V applied with positive polarity to pin 2 and pin 3 via the output XLR connector.
- Operation output impedance: The NTG-1 will operate satisfactorily into a load impedance as low as 1 kilohm. If a load below this is used, the output signal level will be reduced. The NTG-2s output is balanced between pin 2 (hot), pin 3 (cold) and pin 1 is ground.
- Acoustic principle: Line plus Gradient.
- Directional pattern: Super-Cardioid.
- Frequency range: 20 Hz ~ 20 kHz selectable HPF @ 80 Hz/12 dB octave
- Output impedance: 250 ohms - phantom power, 350 ohms - battery power
- Signal noise ratio din iec 651: 76 dB (1 kHz rel. 1 Pa; per IEC651, IEC268-15)
- Equvalent noise: 18 dB SPL (per IEC651, IEC268-15)
- Maximum spl: 131 dB (@ 1% THD into 1 kilohm)
- Sensitivity: -36 dB re 1 Volt/Pascal (15 mV @ 94 dB SPL) +/- 2 dB (at 1 kHz in free field into open circuit)
- Dynamic range din iec 651: 113 dB (per IEC651, IEC268-15)
- Power supply voltage: 1.5 V Alkaline Battery or P48 Phantom
- Current consumption: 2.0 mA
- Output connection: 3 pin XLR, balanced output between pin 2 (+), pin 3 (-) and pin 1 (ground)
- Weight with battery: 161 g approx. (3.37 oz.)
- Dimensions width: 278mm
- Dimensions depth: 22mm
- Dimensions height: 22mm.